Black Bean Soup Recipe (Updated 2023)
Black Bean Soup Recipe
This black bean soup recipe is so hearty it will fool you into thinking there’s meat in it. Don’t worry if you can’t find Mexican-style stewed tomatoes. You can make your own by just buying regular stews tomatoes and adding a small can of diced green chilies. Enjoy!
So hearty, it will fool you into thinking there’s meat in it. Learn how to make black bean soup by following the steps below:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
- Category: Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 15 oz. cans of stewed tomatoes (Mexcan-style)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 stalks green onions (chopped (optional))
- In a large pot over medium high, heat olive oil, add the onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute everything until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium-low. Add in the black beans, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir well and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 of the hot bean mixture into a blender and puree it. Then return the puree back to the pot.
- Continue cooking the soup while stirring occassionally, until heated through, about another 5 minutes.
- Using a soup laddle, spoon the soup into soup bowls. Garnish with 1 tbsp of sour cream and chopped green onions (optional). Enjoy!
Don’t worry if you can’t find Mexican-style stewed tomatoes. You can make your own by just buying regular stewed tomatoes and adding a small can of diced green chilies.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 114
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1200 mg
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.45 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Black Bean Soup
you may also like
well hello there!
Hi, I'm Linda thanks for stopping by! We're so happy you're here. If you're a foodie and love to cook from home - you're in the right place..
Join the mailing list and receive our free newsletter!