Miso Soup Recipe (Updated 2023)
Looking for a great miso soup recipe? Learn how to make this delicious Japanese soup to warm your hearts.Print
Miso Soup Recipe
Miso soup is a healing bowl of soothing warmth packed with Japan’s authentic flavors.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 Cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Japanese
For the Awase Dashi, you’ll need:
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 1 piece of dried black kelp/Kombu (4-inches size)
- 1 cup of dried bonito flakes/katsuobushi
For the Miso Soup, you’ll need:
- 8 ounces of silken/firm tofu (drained & cut into cubes)
- 2 spring onions (sliced into 0.5-inch pieces)
- 3 Tablespoons miso paste (red/white variety)
1. To Prepare the Awase Dashi
- Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water and place it on the stove over a medium flame.
- Add the dried kelp (kombu) in the water and bring it to a boil. As soon as the water starts bubbling, remove the kelp using a skimmer.
- Now, reduce the flame to medium-low. Drop the dried bonito flakes and let it simmer for 60 seconds. Then, turn off the stove.
- Place the saucepan in the kitchen top and let it steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a mesh sieve and keep aside.
2. To Prepare the Miso Soup
- Pour the awase dashi in the saucepan and place it on the stove over a medium-high flame. Let it start simmering rapidly.
- Meanwhile, transfer the miso paste to a bowl. Take out 1 cup of the simmering dashi liquid and pour it on the miso. Whisk well until the miso combines without any lumps.
- Add the miso liquid into the saucepan and stir it.
- Next, reduce the flame to medium-low, add the tofu, and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle the spring onions and turn off the stove.
- Serve the miso soup immediately!
Awase dashi can be prepared beforehand and stored in the refrigerator to last for 3-5 days. You may alternate dashi with chicken/vegetable broth.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 12.45 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9.91 grams
- Protein: 16.32 grams
Keywords: miso soup
you may also like
well hello there!
Hi, I'm Linda thanks for stopping by! We're so happy you're here. If you're a foodie and love to cook from home - you're in the right place..
Join the mailing list and receive our free newsletter!