Can You Freeze Half and Half? (Updated 2023)
There are several frequently asked questions concerning half and half. One of them is, can you freeze half and half? If you have extra or leftovers that may not be used right away, freezing half and half is a good idea to extend its life.
This article will guide you on how to properly freeze half and half and thaw it when it is time to use it. You will also discover other important information about half and half, so keep on reading.
What is Half and Half?
Half and half consist of half whole milk (approximately 3.5% milk fat) and half light cream (around 18 to 20% milkfat).
Depending on the brand, the amount of milk fat in half and half ranges from 10 to 12%.
Non-fat or fat-free half and half is also available, which resembles the flavor and thickness of full-fat half and half by substituting ingredients such as corn syrup and carrageenan for the cream.
Can You Freeze Half and Half?
Yes, you can! Simply follow the steps below.
- Take the amount of half and half you want to freeze, and freeze it in a single serving size for optimal results.
- Place each portion in a resealable freezer-safe plastic bag.
- Lay the bag half and half flat on a baking tray and allow the liquid to fill the bag without air bubbles. Remove the air inside the bag as much as possible.
- Double-check that the bag is tightly sealed.
- Label the date of freezing the half and half as well as the specified best-by date.
- Put the baking tray inside the freezer. Freeze it for 1-2 hours without opening the door.
- After the half and half have frozen thoroughly, remove the bag from the baking tray. Depending on your preference, you may either lay the bag flat or stand it up against the freezer wall.
How To Freeze Half and Half For Coffee?
- Fill the ice cube trays with half and half, but only halfway.
- Freeze until the liquid is completely frozen.
- Take the frozen cubes out from the tray and place them in a freezer-safe resealable plastic bag.
- If you will just drink one cup of coffee in the morning, remove one cube from the freezer at night, put it in the cup, and store it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, use a spoon to stir the half and half and your coffee in the cup.
How Long Can Half and Half Stay Frozen?
Half and half should last longer if properly stored in a tightly sealed, freezer-safe plastic bag without exposure to temperatures over 0 degrees Fahrenheit. However, try to use your half and half within 3 months of freezing for optimal flavor.
Compute the number of days left between the freezing date and the best-before date once thawed. The result is the period it will be fresh and safe in the fridge.
How to Use Frozen Half and Half?
Make sure to completely defrost the frozen half and half before using it. To properly thaw your half and half, remember to follow the right thawing process.
When half and half are frozen, the water and fat separate and the texture becomes a little gritty. When the half and half have thawed, give it a good shake or whisk to combine the ingredients.
A creamy and smooth texture can be attained by whisking the half and half. However, it will not restore its original state completely.
Can Fat-Free Half and Half Be Frozen?
Fat-free half and half do not quite freeze properly. When the half and half have been thawed, the ingredients used to substitute the milk’s cream and fat will ruin the texture. No amount of shaking or whisking will resolve the problem.
Can You Freeze Half and Half In the Carton?
Half and half are not recommended to be frozen in the carton it was packaged in, particularly if it has already been opened. Once opened, you must immediately transfer it to a freezer-safe, airtight, resealable plastic bag or container.
If you are going to freeze an unopened carton of half and half, you need to use the whole content of the carton once defrosted. Keep in mind to not re-freeze previously frozen half and half.
When half and half freezes, it expands. And, an unopened container may not expand with it and may break. If the container breaks, remove it from the freezer as soon as possible. Then, repackage it while frozen and return it to the freezer immediately, or thaw and consume it.
Although the containers of dairy bought in stores aren’t always freezer safe, it should be fine in the freezer if it is unopened and you can consume it all at once thawed. But again, it is not recommended.
The Bottom Line
Freezing half and half may save any extra or leftovers for later use. Follow the steps on how to properly freeze half and half. It is simple and allows you to prolong the liquid’s storage life. When using the frozen half and half, don’t forget to thaw it completely and then shake or whisk it well.Print
How to Freeze Half and Half
Freezing half and half is a great way to save time and money for your coffee drinks. It is much easier than making it every morning, but coffee shops charge more for the convenience. This article will detail how to store half and half in the freezer.
- half and half
- plastic or glass container with lid
- Masking Tape
- Get a container that has an airtight lid
- Fill the container with half and half
- Tighten the lid on tight
- Label the container with the item and date using masking tape and pen
- Place container in the freezer
Keywords: How to freeze half and half
you may also like
well hello there!
Hi, I'm Linda thanks for stopping by! We're so happy you're here. If you're a foodie and love to cook from home - you're in the right place..
Join the mailing list and receive our free newsletter!
let's be social
Recipe Marker provides you with the best information about home cooking tips, recipes, ingredient substitutes and more. Check out our blog to see the latest articles.