Tomato Sauce vs Pizza Sauce: What’s the Difference? (Updated 2023)
Sauces are available in many kinds and play an important role in different cuisines. Two of these sauces are tomato sauce and pizza sauce. But what exactly is the difference between the two? Today we are comparing tomato sauce vs pizza sauce.
This article will explain the difference between both sauces in detail. Learn how these sauces are used in a variety of recipes and how they improve the dish’s flavor and appearance.
What’s the Difference Between Tomato Sauce and Pizza Sauce
Tomato sauce’s main ingredient is always tomato. However, pizza sauce’s primary ingredient is not necessarily tomato, as it can also be pesto or cream, depending on the type of pizza.
Tomato sauce is pure red and has a thick texture, while pizza sauce is orange and has a thinner, occasionally creamy texture.
Tomato sauce is a multi-purpose sauce suitable for a variety of recipes, while pizza sauce is, for the most part, exclusively used as a spread on pizzas.
Finally, tomato sauce is from Mexico, while pizza sauce is from Italy.
What Is Tomato Sauce?
Tomato sauce is a type of sauce made from tomatoes. It is produced by mashing tomatoes into something like a paste and seasoning it with garlic, herbs, and spices.
The sauce is typically blended into recipes to improve the flavor, consistency, and look. As such, it appears in cuisine around the world.
You can make homemade sauce, which requires some preparation time. Alternatively, you can just purchase it at any local store.
Uses for Tomato Sauce
Tomato sauce is a versatile ingredient that may be used in several ways. Tomato sauce is in many recipes, including pasta dishes.
For example, you can cook eggs with tomato sauce. To make a delicious and healthy breakfast, simply cook eggs in the sauce until they are set. You may also serve fish with tomato sauce. Put white fish in tomato sauce to give it great flavor.
Why not try polenta or risotto with tomato sauce? In a shallow bowl, pour the sauce over the polenta or risotto. Or make vegetable noodles with tomato sauce just like spaghetti.
How to Make Tomato Sauce
Preparing tomato sauce is simple. Follow the steps below.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil and chopped onions.
- Add in crushed tomatoes.
- Next, sprinkle in some salt and add minced garlic. This will give your tomato sauce a delectable scent.
- Lastly, season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Voila, your tomato sauce is ready.
What Is Pizza Sauce?
Pizza sauce is often made using basic tomato sauce or paste and pureed tomatoes. This gives the sauce a thick texture.
It also includes spices like onion powder, garlic salt, oregano, sugar, and Italian seasoning, for a tangier taste that pairs well with the oils and fats found in pizza cheeses.
Uses for Pizza Sauce
Pizza sauce is also a versatile sauce and may be used in many other recipes aside from pizza.
However, pizza sauce is generally used for pizza. The pizza sauce is applied thinly on top of the pizza dough. Then, the selected topping is added. Finally, the pizza is baked in an oven.
Pizza sauce also works nicely as pasta sauce. You can mix it into regular spaghetti or combine it with other ingredients such as veggies and meat.
You can make chili with pizza sauce, too. Just add black beans, chili or spicy sauce, red onions, and fresh tomatoes. This combo will bring more flavor while also making the dish chunkier.
How to Make Pizza Sauce
You can prepare pizza sauce quickly. Follow the instructions below.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tomato sauce and tomato paste. If the tomato sauce contains tomato chunks, smooth them out using a blender or food processor.
- If you are using canned crushed tomatoes, on the other hand, puree the ingredients.
- Add some salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, and any other seasonings you like.
- Stir with a spatula until everything is well mixed.
Use immediately on pizza dough. Or, you can store the sauce in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. Pizza sauce can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
The Bottom Line
The main differences between tomato sauce and pizza sauce include the ingredients, preparation process, and uses.
The type of sauce you will use depends on your recipe. Note the characteristics of each sauce, and you can distinguish them from each other.Print
Tomato Sauce vs Pizza Sauce: What’s the Difference?
What exactly is the difference between the two? Today we are comparing tomato sauce vs pizza sauce.
- Category: Sauce
- Tomato sauce
- Pizza sauce
- Tomato sauce’s main ingredient is always tomato. However, pizza sauce’s primary ingredient is not necessarily tomato, as it can also be pesto or cream, depending on the type of pizza.
- Tomato sauce is pure red and has a thick texture, while pizza sauce is orange and has a thinner, occasionally creamy texture.
- Tomato sauce is a multi-purpose sauce suitable for a variety of recipes, while pizza sauce is, for the most part, exclusively used as a spread on pizzas.
- Finally, tomato sauce is from Mexico, while pizza sauce is from Italy.
Keywords: Tomato Sauce vs Pizza Sauce
you may also like
well hello there!
Hi, I'm Linda thanks for stopping by! We're so happy you're here. If you're a foodie and love to cook from home - you're in the right place..
Join the mailing list and receive our free newsletter!
let's be social
Recipe Marker provides you with the best information about home cooking tips, recipes, ingredient substitutes and more. Check out our blog to see the latest articles.